Sunday, January 31, 2016

R1


I found the Wikipedia entry on Synesthesia to be absolutely fascinating. I had always heard about people associating songs or pictures with certain things like colors. I had never understood this phenomenon but the examination of it in the Wikipedia article helped to see a different perspective. I have been able to experience Associative Synesthesia in certain songs. If I listened to a song during a specific action such as eating cookies or drinking soda, then I will tend to associate the song with that food or drink. The Ted Talk video about Cymatics was a learning experience for me that unveiled so much about a subject that I knew very little about. The Chladmi experiment was mind blowing for me to see because of its graphic depiction and visualization of Cymatics. To watch sound take a physical form and move via a force that we otherwise cannot see was a very cool experience. I have always found the idea of individual perception and its effects to be an incredibly interesting topic. How Daniel Tammet describes his worldview being dominated through word/number associations with color, emotion, and personality is partly relatable and partly foreign to me. The way he views the world is clearly exclusive to himself and how he shows to the audience is easily palatable. The example of showing the numbers, one through twelve, really showed just how different and bizarre his worldview really is. His explanation of how the word Hnugginn is seen as a sad word further cemented to me on a deeper level how different and strange his perception are from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment